Welcome To The New Emergency Department
The new St. Francis Memorial Hospital Emergency Department will be attached and connected to the existing hospital building, and will offer a dedicated, convenient entrance, with a separate waiting room. It is designed to improve each patient’s experience with more treatment rooms, barrier-free, walk-in entrances and enhanced infection control standards.
We will be continually updating this page with new information, photos, and details as planning continues and construction gets underway.
Read our Q&A
Download the Detailed Plan
- Ministry Approves Stage 2. You can read the full press release here.
- On September 8, 2020, the Honourable Christine Elliott, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care and Premier Doug Ford virtually announced a brand-new Emergency Department for patients and families in Barry’s Bay and surrounding communities. You can watch the full funding announcement here. You can also read the full news release here.
The process of planning and construction will take several years, and we will keep you informed every step of the way.
The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has a five-stage planning process:
- Stage 1 Part A: Master Plan (Completed and approved)
- Stage 1 Part B: Master Program (Completed and approved)
- Stage 2: Functional Program (Completed and approved)
Outlines the functions, operations, staffing, major equipment, funding and space requirements for the new space.
- Stage 3: Preliminary Design
- Stage 3.1 - Preliminary block and sketch level design are developed with details about all major components, timelines and costs (To be completed)
- Stage 3.2 - Sketch Plan - Detailed physical planning documents, including mechanical, electrical, structural, and architectural design briefs with relevant drawings; phasing plans; building specifications; furniture and equipment lists; updated cost estimates and project schedule (To be completed)
- Stage 4: Working Drawings (To be completed)
Pre-construction phase where detailed drawings and contract documents for tender are drafted and approved
- Step 5: Implementation Approval (To be completed)
Approval to award tender and begin construction.